Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thoughts on books I've read recently #3

Maybe this is cheating somehow since I was forced to read it, but thanks to my history professor, I'm one book closer to my goal for the year.  Pocahontas and the Powhatan Dilemma really set me straight and did a pretty good job of holding my interest in the process.  I have never seen the Disney version of the Pocahontas story (the closest I got was being jealous of my neighbor's Pocahontas bedding set).  I plan to watch it soon, just to see how much they mutilated the historical information that was available to them, though.  I won't be all nuts about it, but I'm interested to see what they changed for marketing purposes.








Anyway, this is definitely worth the read.  Even if you don't ever want to read it again, I think that being reminded every so often that what we are taught as school children is typically skewed (especially in this area).  I remember so much from what I was taught in elementary school and while the basic math, speech and writing skills have proved valuable, there was apparently much to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment